Instant Pot Round Steak and Gravy–tender pieces of round steak covered in a flavorful gravy. An easy recipe with only 6 ingredients!
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card
Instant Pot Round Steak and Gravy
Instant Pot Round Steak and Gravy is a recipe that uses an inexpensive cut of beef called top round steak. It’s delicious but typically needs many hours to cook to achieve tenderness. That’s where the Instant Pot enters the picture! Cooking time is cut down significantly with the pressure cooker. If you’d rather cook low and slow I put the slow cooker instructions in the recipe card below also.
If you love steak and have a family to feed it can be an expensive dinner! With round steak you can feed the family for not much more than what ground beef costs.
This recipe only has a few ingredients…beef, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, onion soup mix and cornstarch (to thicken the gravy). Sometimes the simplest recipes are the tastiest! I know some of you won’t want to use a packet of onion soup mix so you can make your own from scratch.
What is top round steak?
Top round roast is very lean and tough, and thus it’s one of the less expensive cuts of beef. A top round steak is simply cuts from the top round roast into steak size pieces. Round steak is good for slow cooking methods such as braising, Crock Pot meals, Swiss steak, and stews. Typically this cut of meat takes hours of cooking to break down the collagen but with the Instant Pot you can make this entire meal in less than an hour (30 minutes of pressure cooking time plus a natural pressure release).
What should I serve with Instant Pot Round Steak and Gravy?
The steak and gravy tastes amazing served over mashed potatoes. I served them with Instant Pot Easter Bunny Potatoes that are a yellow potato/carrot mix. Try serving the steak, potatoes and gravy with canned or frozen corn or corn on the cob. It makes a perfect homey meal!
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc. Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for. Here are some beefy recipes that I know you’ll love…
Tender pieces of round steak covered in a flavorful gravy.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 3–4 slices of beef top round steak (this was about 1.68 pounds for me)
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1 oz) package Lipton’s onion soup mix
- 2–3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Lightly salt and pepper the steaks and then sear both sides of each steak for about 3 minutes. Remove from pot and set on a plate.
- Add onions into the pot and stir. The onions will help release the browned bits from the bottom of the pot as they release moisture. Let onions get soft, about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the water and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Stir the soup mix into the water. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the steaks.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes. When time is up let pressure release naturally for 10-15 minutes. Move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Place steaks on a plate. Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. In a small bowl stir together 2-3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up the gravy quickly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Serve the steak with gravy over the top.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in butter and let melt. Lightly salt and pepper the steaks and then sear both sides of each steak for about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and add to the slow cooker.
- Add onions into pan and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Scrape into the slow cooker.
- Pour water and soup mix into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- In a small bowl stir together 2-3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to high and let the gravy thicken for 10-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the steak with gravy over the top.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
Melt butter using sauté setting
Salt and pepper top round steaks
sear them on each side for 3 minutes
Set steaks on a plate
Add 1 cup diced onions into pot and sauté, scrape up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add 1 Tbsp minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds
Pour in two cups water and scrape bottom of pot to release any stuck on food pieces
Open up 1 packet of onion soup mix
Pour into the pot and stir
Add steaks back into pot
Pressure cook for 30 minutes with natural pressure release
Move steak to cutting board
Thicken gravy with a cornstarch slurry on sauté setting. Salt and pepper to taste
Serve steak with lots of gravy