Instant Pot French Onion Beef Casserole–an easy 6 ingredient recipe with beef, onions, pasta, sour cream and french fried onions that comes together quickly with the help of your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot French Onion Beef Casserole
If you’re looking for a flavorful and easy Instant Pot recipe for dinner tonight that uses a pound of ground beef I’ve got you covered. You’re likely to have all the ingredients on hand too. It’s a creamy pasta and beef casserole that’s topped with crispy french fried onions that your whole family will love. Let’s get started!
How to make Instant Pot french onion beef casserole:
- Measure out sour cream and set on the counter so that it can come to room temperature. This step is important so that the sour cream doesn’t curdle when you add it in later with the hot food. Alternately you could temper the sour cream by adding in a bit of hot broth with it before stirring it into the hot pasta.
- Brown the ground beef and onions together on the sauté setting (the MORE setting). I like to use lean or extra lean ground beef. My beef didn’t have much or any grease on it so I didn’t need to drain grease off. But if your beef has extra fat I would suggest draining it before the next step. Sometimes I use a paper towel to sop up some of the grease by moving the meat to one side of the pan and placing a paper towel on the other side of the pan and moving it around with a spoon.
- Stir in the onion soup mix. Coat the beef well with the soup mix. This will add a ton of flavor to the meat and is where the flavor from the casserole comes from. If you need to control the ingredients in the onion soup mix you can always make your own from scratch.
- Stir in the water and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. By deglazing the pot you will avoid getting the burn error message.
- Add in the pasta and press down with a spoon to submerge. Don’t stir. Just gently press the pasta down. If you stir you’re likely to get the burn error message. You can use other types of pasta as well. Try using a short cut pasta like macaroni, cavatappi, penne or egg noodles. (If you use egg noodles only cook for 3 minutes, not 5 minutes).
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes and then use a 5-10 minute natural pressure release. Because the pot is already hot from using the sauté setting it will come to pressure quickly.
- Stir in the room temperature sour cream.
- At this point you can finish off the casserole in the oven or you can use your air fryer lid. For the oven, pour the mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish, sprinkle the fried onions on top and bake at 350° F for 10 minutes. For the air fryer lid sprinkle the fried onions on top and cook for 5 minutes at 350° F with air fryer lid.
- Scoop up the casserole onto plates and serve. Some ideas to serve with Instant Pot french onion beef casserole are green tossed salad, raw veggies with dip, fruit salad or steamed broccoli.
More Ground Beef Recipes…
An easy 6 ingredient recipe with beef, onions, pasta, sour cream and french fried onions that comes together quickly with the help of your Instant Pot.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (1 oz) packet Lipton’s onion soup mix
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz rotini noodles
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup French’s fried onions
- Measure out sour cream and set on the counter so that it can come to room temperature.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the diced onion. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease.
- Stir in the onion soup mix. Coat the beef well with the soup mix. Stir in the water and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in the pasta and press down with a spoon to submerge.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×9 inch baking dish or keep in the pot if you want to use your air fryer lid. Sprinkle the fried onions on top. Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes in the oven or for 5 minutes with air fryer lid.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven/Air Fryer Lid
Brown ground beef and onions using the sauté setting. Stir in onion soup mix.
Pour in water and scrape bottom of pot so nothing is sticking
Add in pasta and gently press to submerge with spoon
Pressure cook for 5 minutes with a 5-10 minute natural pressure release
Stir in sour cream
Pour into 9×9 inch pan and sprinkle with french fried onions
Serve and enjoy