How to Make Honey Nut Dessert Trail Mix
Follow the steps below and you can have your own mix ready to go in less than 25 minutes:
- Preheat the oven. Preheat your oven to 300℉. While the oven is heating up, line your baking sheet with some parchment paper.
- Prepare the nut mixture. Add the raw walnuts, raw cashew nuts, honey, and coconut oil to a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Bake the nut mixture. Spread the nut mixture in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the nuts are toasted.
- Add the coconut chips. Remove from the oven and stir in the unsweetened coconut chips.
- Bake for an additional 7 minutes.
- Let the trail mix cool. Remove the trail mix from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Finish it off. Stir in the unsweetened banana chips and unsweetened dried blueberries and cranberries.
- Store. Store the trail mix until you’re ready to serve.
4 Reasons Why Trail Mix is Such a Good Healthy Snack
Here are 4 reasons why this honey nut dessert trail mix makes such a great paleo snacking choice:
- Great source of protein and heart healthy dietary fats.
- Excellent source of dietary fiber, which promotes feelings of satiety.
- Provides a good mix of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Rich in disease-fighting antioxidants and other anti-inflammatory compounds.
How Long Does This Dessert Trail Mix Stay Good For?
This honey nut dessert trail mix will keep for up to 6 months with proper storage. Without proper storage, trail mix can turn rancid fairly quickly because of the raw nuts. This is why it’s important to portion out your trail mix before it’s stored properly to avoid the whole batch going bad, if at all.
See below for tips on the best way to store your trail mix.
Best Way to Store Trail Mix
The best way to store this honey nut dessert trail mix (and any other trail mix recipe) is to keep it in either a sealed ziplock bag or an airtight container. I like to use small plastic containers or even just plastic bags that are good for just one serving at a time.
Afterwards, keep the trail mix in a cool dry place.
Can I Add or Remove Anything in This Trail Mix Recipe? (+Our Top 5 Additions)
The great thing about trail mix recipes like this one is that they’re incredibly easy to customize by mixing and matching various ingredients. If you want to add any additions to this particular recipe, here are a few of our top paleo approved recommendations:
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Dark chocolate chips (paleo chocolate)
- Granulated paleo sweetener
(You may also like: 3-Nut Honey Roasted Nut Mix)