What is your doctor missing when it comes to your hormones? Up next in our BEST OF Keto for Women series is Episode 26 with Dr. Ken Berry, who is one of the most loved guests we have ever had on the show. Enjoy!
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Why women have more difficulty managing their weight than men
- The false paradigm regarding weight loss that people have been operating under
- What controls weight gain and weight loss
- Why you should fix your diet
- The kind of doctor you should look for
- Good stress vs bad stress
- Tests you should get to check your thyroid health
- The difference between bioidentical and synthetic hormones
- The risks of taking synthetic hormones
- The lies that doctors tell you
- Women have a harder time to lose weight than men because ultimately, weight loss is a hormonal issue almost entirely.
- Gaining or losing weight is all about hormones and all about what you eat.
- When it comes to weight gain and weight loss, your insulin level and your insulin response is the queen of the show. Without your insulin being optimized and low, you’ll never lose weight.
- If your body’s insulin is elevated, it programs your body to store sugar into triglycerides and ultimately, into fat, and that’s how you gain weight.
- The thyroid gland is imminently important in your metabolism, in your mental health, in your physical health, in whether you gain or lose weight or not. It’s intimately connected with thousands of biochemical reactions in your body. And if your thyroid is suboptimal, then everything is going to be suboptimal.
- Bioidentical hormones don’t increase your risk of anything except feeling better.
- Fix your diet and optimize your hormones.
- Find a doctor who is your learned health partner. That’s how this relationship should work.
- Get a full panel of lab work on your thyroid.
Dr. Ken Berry said:
“Calories in, calories out, calorie deficit, all of that is a myth. None of that is true. None of that will help you lose weight… It’s a false paradigm that we’ve all been operating under for the last 50 or 60 years.”
“You as your person are the culmination of thousands of successful reproductions for the last how many eons. If one of those reproductive pairs had failed, you wouldn’t be here. So you are literally the product of thousands of successes over the past eons and generations.”
Resources mentioned in the show:
More from Dr. Ken Berry:
More from Shawn Mynar:
The advice and opinions in The Keto For Women show are intended for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical care or advice. Please always consult your medical professional for your specific health concerns.